Remembering Aunt Coleata and Uncle Steve
I remember as a young boy how thrilled I was whenever I got to go to Grand Island to visit. For there, I had cousins of my age and gender and that was not to be found anywhere else within driving distance. And in Grand Island there was always great food and loving adults.
I remember being absolutely heart broken when we got to the state basketball tournament to watch a great Grand Island basketball team only to be turned away because the fire marshal had locked the doors. I cried and cried all of the way home.
I remember going to Peru State in the fall as a youngster to watch great football in the Oak Bowl and realizing the significance of the Gaines, Sams, Crink family to Peru State. And I dreamed of playing football for Peru in that wonderful atmosphere. And later, getting to play in the Oak Bowl just once and then not for Peru but for Wesleyan. And Peru whipped us badly :-)
I remember my Grand Island cousins and my Michigan cousins working at Linoma and the great times we had. And wonderful family get togethers on the island at Linoma. Little did I then realize how wonderful those times were.
I remember going to lots of great track meets and listening to Uncle Steve and other coaches analyzing the meets. Always figuring out how to beat Scottsbluff and Coach Binfield.
I remember how thrilled Aunt Coleata was when Gary won the Gold. The whole extended family was ecstatic but Aunt Coleata was overjoyed.
I remember realizing as a young man how my Mom and Aunt Coleata really truly enjoyed sports. They had no choice but their interest could not be faked even though acting runs in the family.
I remember realizing that Uncle Steve's interest in sports and officiating paralleled my loves. Then later realizing that Uncle Steve's interest in hunting and fishing paralleled my brother Mike's loves. And it dawned on me that Uncle Steve and Aunt Coleata adapted their interests to fit the occasion and the need.
I remember that after Uncle Steve died Aunt Coleata asked if there was something of his that I would like to have. And I was honored when she gave me an old Peruvian Annual from his era which I deeply cherish.
I remember how great a time Aunt Coleata had at Kendra's wedding. In her 90s and still enjoying life to the fullest.
And I remember, when I visited Aunt Coleata last, her great pride in her children and grandchildren and great grandchildren. She regaled me with photos and stories. And I left knowing that though her body was wearing out, her mind and spirit were forever intact.
She will be missed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment